Updated May 10, 2013 - 11:04 am
Suns need talent upgrade ‘across the board'
"There's a great infrastructure in place to have success," Lance Blanks said on August 25, 2010. "So part of my job will be staying out of the way and not messing things up."
Two days after his hire, Ryan McDonough gave us this:
"There are some good, young pieces in place here. There's some good talent on the roster," he said during his introductory press conference Thursday. "Lon (Babby) and Robert (Sarver) and their staffs here have done a good job of acquiring draft picks and young players and positioning this team for sustainable success."
Of course, he then added this caveat two minutes later:
"The Suns did win 25 games last year so the talent needs to be upgraded across the board. However, there are some good pieces in place here."
McDonough, the team's fifth general manager in seven years, specifically mentioned Goran Dragic, Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley and Luis Scola before dropping the names of Marcus and Markieff Morris as well as Kendall Marshall.
One player not mentioned: Michael Beasley.
To be fair, however, McDonough did say on more than one occasion he was not "going to go through the entire roster."
There will be plenty of time to do that later.
"There is something here," he continued. "We're going to try to supplant that and maximize those guys' abilities. We're going to obviously bring in a few draft picks as well and try to take the next step for the Phoenix Suns."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.