Updated May 10, 2013 - 11:04 am
Suns need talent upgrade ‘across the board'
"There's a great infrastructure in place to have success," Lance Blanks said on August 25, 2010. "So part of my job will be staying out of the way and not messing things up."
Two days after his hire, Ryan McDonough gave us this:
"There are some good, young pieces in place here. There's some good talent on the roster," he said during his introductory press conference Thursday. "Lon (Babby) and Robert (Sarver) and their staffs here have done a good job of acquiring draft picks and young players and positioning this team for sustainable success."
Of course, he then added this caveat two minutes later:
"The Suns did win 25 games last year so the talent needs to be upgraded across the board. However, there are some good pieces in place here."
McDonough, the team's fifth general manager in seven years, specifically mentioned Goran Dragic, Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley and Luis Scola before dropping the names of Marcus and Markieff Morris as well as Kendall Marshall.
One player not mentioned: Michael Beasley.
To be fair, however, McDonough did say on more than one occasion he was not "going to go through the entire roster."
There will be plenty of time to do that later.
"There is something here," he continued. "We're going to try to supplant that and maximize those guys' abilities. We're going to obviously bring in a few draft picks as well and try to take the next step for the Phoenix Suns."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Jon Barry, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 18Who is the team to beat in the East?
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Suns’ season?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.