Updated May 10, 2013 - 11:04 am
Suns need talent upgrade ‘across the board'
"There's a great infrastructure in place to have success," Lance Blanks said on August 25, 2010. "So part of my job will be staying out of the way and not messing things up."
Two days after his hire, Ryan McDonough gave us this:
"There are some good, young pieces in place here. There's some good talent on the roster," he said during his introductory press conference Thursday. "Lon (Babby) and Robert (Sarver) and their staffs here have done a good job of acquiring draft picks and young players and positioning this team for sustainable success."
Of course, he then added this caveat two minutes later:
"The Suns did win 25 games last year so the talent needs to be upgraded across the board. However, there are some good pieces in place here."
McDonough, the team's fifth general manager in seven years, specifically mentioned Goran Dragic, Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley and Luis Scola before dropping the names of Marcus and Markieff Morris as well as Kendall Marshall.
One player not mentioned: Michael Beasley.
To be fair, however, McDonough did say on more than one occasion he was not "going to go through the entire roster."
There will be plenty of time to do that later.
"There is something here," he continued. "We're going to try to supplant that and maximize those guys' abilities. We're going to obviously bring in a few draft picks as well and try to take the next step for the Phoenix Suns."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.