Updated May 9, 2013 - 4:59 pm
Ryan McDonough introduced, focused on Suns coaching search
"My first order of business as the general manager is to find the best guy for that job," McDonough said. "Obviously, I'll be working closely with Robert (Sarver) and Lon (Babby) and the rest of our staff on that."
McDonough, who spent the last decade in several capacities in the Boston front office, including serving as assistant GM under Danny Ainge, says the process of finding the next coach began even before he landed the job in Phoenix.
"That was part of my interview with Robert and Lon -- we discussed potential coaching candidates and who we thought would be good fits," he said. "And we were in alignment on a lot of the names -- most of the names. So we have an initial list to go off of.
"We've received a good amount of interest from people all over the basketball world who want to be the coach of this storied franchise and they see a great opportunity here."
Alvin Gentry started the 2012-13 season as head coach but was fired after 41 games, paving the way for interim Lindsey Hunter to finish the season. The Suns limped to a 25-57 record -- the second-worst in team history.
There has been much speculation on Hunter's future with the organization, and McDonough confirmed that he's in the mix.
"We will meet with Lindsey," he said. "I don't know him very well, but I've heard good things about Lindsey's character, and his toughness and his work ethic. So Lindsey is a candidate. I know he's interviewed for jobs elsewhere, but he's a candidate for us as well and we're going to go into it with an open mind and consider all the top guys, and Lindsey is one of the top guys."
Hunter interviewed with the Detroit Pistons about their vacant coaching position last month after the team fired Lawrence Frank following a 29-53 campaign.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns GM McDonough not surprised by Phoenix's strong start
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Film study aiding defensive effort of Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.