Updated May 7, 2013 - 4:57 pm
McDonough's the guy, now hand him the keys and let him drive
His quotes won't lead SportsCenter (i.e. Charles Barkley).
The Suns though didn't hire new general manager Ryan McDonough for that. They hired McDonough to turn around a franchise coming off its worst season in 44 years.
McDonough's résumé speaks for itself:
• 10 seasons with the Boston Celtics
• Three seasons as the assistant GM
• Two seasons as the director player personnel
• Amateur and international scouting experience
• Credited for the acquisitions of Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley
His pedigree describes what president of basketball operations Lon Babby said he was looking for: a "first-rate talent evaluator," which is a must for a team with ten draft choices, including six in the first round (two this year) over the next three years.
Now that that person has been found, the powers-that-be need to get out of the way and allow McDonough the freedom to do his job, which includes bringing respectability back to the fourth-winningest team in NBA history and (sooner rather than later) a return of playoff basketball to US Airways Center.
McDonough, however, can't do that if too many cooks remain in the kitchen.
Everyone means well, but if there is one thing the last three years has shown it's that the Suns will be better off if those charged to make basketball decisions are allowed to make basketball decisions.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.