Updated May 7, 2013 - 4:57 pm
McDonough's the guy, now hand him the keys and let him drive
His quotes won't lead SportsCenter (i.e. Charles Barkley).
The Suns though didn't hire new general manager Ryan McDonough for that. They hired McDonough to turn around a franchise coming off its worst season in 44 years.
McDonough's résumé speaks for itself:
• 10 seasons with the Boston Celtics
• Three seasons as the assistant GM
• Two seasons as the director player personnel
• Amateur and international scouting experience
• Credited for the acquisitions of Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley
His pedigree describes what president of basketball operations Lon Babby said he was looking for: a "first-rate talent evaluator," which is a must for a team with ten draft choices, including six in the first round (two this year) over the next three years.
Now that that person has been found, the powers-that-be need to get out of the way and allow McDonough the freedom to do his job, which includes bringing respectability back to the fourth-winningest team in NBA history and (sooner rather than later) a return of playoff basketball to US Airways Center.
McDonough, however, can't do that if too many cooks remain in the kitchen.
Everyone means well, but if there is one thing the last three years has shown it's that the Suns will be better off if those charged to make basketball decisions are allowed to make basketball decisions.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.