Updated May 7, 2013 - 4:57 pm
McDonough's the guy, now hand him the keys and let him drive
His quotes won't lead SportsCenter (i.e. Charles Barkley).
The Suns though didn't hire new general manager Ryan McDonough for that. They hired McDonough to turn around a franchise coming off its worst season in 44 years.
McDonough's résumé speaks for itself:
• 10 seasons with the Boston Celtics
• Three seasons as the assistant GM
• Two seasons as the director player personnel
• Amateur and international scouting experience
• Credited for the acquisitions of Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley
His pedigree describes what president of basketball operations Lon Babby said he was looking for: a "first-rate talent evaluator," which is a must for a team with ten draft choices, including six in the first round (two this year) over the next three years.
Now that that person has been found, the powers-that-be need to get out of the way and allow McDonough the freedom to do his job, which includes bringing respectability back to the fourth-winningest team in NBA history and (sooner rather than later) a return of playoff basketball to US Airways Center.
McDonough, however, can't do that if too many cooks remain in the kitchen.
Everyone means well, but if there is one thing the last three years has shown it's that the Suns will be better off if those charged to make basketball decisions are allowed to make basketball decisions.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Suns’ season?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.