Updated May 7, 2013 - 10:50 am
Suns name Ryan McDonough general manager
McDonough, 33, comes to the Suns after spending the last two seasons as the assistant general manager of the Boston Celtics. The Massachusetts native also has experience as Boston's director of player personnel, director of international scouting, director of amateur scouting and special assistant in the basketball operations department.
"Ryan distinguished himself among an impressive group of candidates for our GM position," said Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby in a press release. "His natural leadership and communication skills will serve the Suns well. And, his prodigious work ethic and ability to identify talent will enable us to take full advantage of the 10 draft choices, including six in the first round, that we have over the next three years. We welcome his championship pedigree to our organization."
McDonough replaces Lance Blanks, who was fired April 22 after three years on the job. The Suns went 98-132 under Blanks' watch and missed the playoffs all three seasons.
Several reports indicated the Suns also had interest in Milwaukee assistant general manager Jeff Weltman and San Antonio assistant general manager Scott Layden.
The Suns will formally introduce McDonough in a press conference that is scheduled for Thursday, May 9, at 11:30 a.m. at the US Airways Center.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.
- The DISH - April 12, 2014 - Saturday April 12Jon Bloom gives us the Day in Suns' History.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 11NBA insider Chris Broussard dicsusses the NBA playoff race.