Updated May 7, 2013 - 10:50 am
Suns name Ryan McDonough general manager
McDonough, 33, comes to the Suns after spending the last two seasons as the assistant general manager of the Boston Celtics. The Massachusetts native also has experience as Boston's director of player personnel, director of international scouting, director of amateur scouting and special assistant in the basketball operations department.
"Ryan distinguished himself among an impressive group of candidates for our GM position," said Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby in a press release. "His natural leadership and communication skills will serve the Suns well. And, his prodigious work ethic and ability to identify talent will enable us to take full advantage of the 10 draft choices, including six in the first round, that we have over the next three years. We welcome his championship pedigree to our organization."
McDonough replaces Lance Blanks, who was fired April 22 after three years on the job. The Suns went 98-132 under Blanks' watch and missed the playoffs all three seasons.
Several reports indicated the Suns also had interest in Milwaukee assistant general manager Jeff Weltman and San Antonio assistant general manager Scott Layden.
The Suns will formally introduce McDonough in a press conference that is scheduled for Thursday, May 9, at 11:30 a.m. at the US Airways Center.
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Phoenix Suns GM on Eric Bledsoe: 'I think he will be back at the end of the day'
- Phoenix Suns go all in on two point-guard lineups
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Thursday July 17ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard gives his take on Eric Bledsoe’s contract situation with the Phoeni