Updated May 7, 2013 - 10:50 am
Suns name Ryan McDonough general manager
McDonough, 33, comes to the Suns after spending the last two seasons as the assistant general manager of the Boston Celtics. The Massachusetts native also has experience as Boston's director of player personnel, director of international scouting, director of amateur scouting and special assistant in the basketball operations department.
"Ryan distinguished himself among an impressive group of candidates for our GM position," said Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby in a press release. "His natural leadership and communication skills will serve the Suns well. And, his prodigious work ethic and ability to identify talent will enable us to take full advantage of the 10 draft choices, including six in the first round, that we have over the next three years. We welcome his championship pedigree to our organization."
McDonough replaces Lance Blanks, who was fired April 22 after three years on the job. The Suns went 98-132 under Blanks' watch and missed the playoffs all three seasons.
Several reports indicated the Suns also had interest in Milwaukee assistant general manager Jeff Weltman and San Antonio assistant general manager Scott Layden.
The Suns will formally introduce McDonough in a press conference that is scheduled for Thursday, May 9, at 11:30 a.m. at the US Airways Center.
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.