Updated May 7, 2013 - 10:50 am
Suns name Ryan McDonough general manager
McDonough, 33, comes to the Suns after spending the last two seasons as the assistant general manager of the Boston Celtics. The Massachusetts native also has experience as Boston's director of player personnel, director of international scouting, director of amateur scouting and special assistant in the basketball operations department.
"Ryan distinguished himself among an impressive group of candidates for our GM position," said Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby in a press release. "His natural leadership and communication skills will serve the Suns well. And, his prodigious work ethic and ability to identify talent will enable us to take full advantage of the 10 draft choices, including six in the first round, that we have over the next three years. We welcome his championship pedigree to our organization."
McDonough replaces Lance Blanks, who was fired April 22 after three years on the job. The Suns went 98-132 under Blanks' watch and missed the playoffs all three seasons.
Several reports indicated the Suns also had interest in Milwaukee assistant general manager Jeff Weltman and San Antonio assistant general manager Scott Layden.
The Suns will formally introduce McDonough in a press conference that is scheduled for Thursday, May 9, at 11:30 a.m. at the US Airways Center.
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t