Updated May 6, 2013 - 3:30 pm
ESPN analyst: Suns should find GM from winning team
"If I'm Robert Sarver or whoever's going to make the ultimate decision, I'm going to franchises that I have seen that have won year after year, the consistency," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Grab someone from San Antonio, grab someone from Boston.
"Get these people that have been there year after year after year; they develop young talent, their scouting is correct, they get European players, they do it the right way."
Barry said it should not matter if the person has been a general manager before or not, as finding someone with a winning pedigree and the ability to find talent is paramount.
Supposedly, the Suns' search is down to three: Boston's Ryan McDonough, Milwaukee's Jeff Weltman and San Antonio's Scott Layden.
Of those three, perhaps it's McDonough who is the most intriguing. Currently the Celtics' assistant general manager, the 33-year-old has experience in the team's video department as well as a scout, too.
Yet, he's never been a general manager.
"There's a ton of guys in this league that have pretty prominent positions that have been video coordinators, and that's where they start," Barry said. "I don't get caught up in that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.