Updated May 6, 2013 - 3:30 pm
ESPN analyst: Suns should find GM from winning team
"If I'm Robert Sarver or whoever's going to make the ultimate decision, I'm going to franchises that I have seen that have won year after year, the consistency," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Grab someone from San Antonio, grab someone from Boston.
"Get these people that have been there year after year after year; they develop young talent, their scouting is correct, they get European players, they do it the right way."
Barry said it should not matter if the person has been a general manager before or not, as finding someone with a winning pedigree and the ability to find talent is paramount.
Supposedly, the Suns' search is down to three: Boston's Ryan McDonough, Milwaukee's Jeff Weltman and San Antonio's Scott Layden.
Of those three, perhaps it's McDonough who is the most intriguing. Currently the Celtics' assistant general manager, the 33-year-old has experience in the team's video department as well as a scout, too.
Yet, he's never been a general manager.
"There's a ton of guys in this league that have pretty prominent positions that have been video coordinators, and that's where they start," Barry said. "I don't get caught up in that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?