Updated May 6, 2013 - 3:30 pm
ESPN analyst: Suns should find GM from winning team
"If I'm Robert Sarver or whoever's going to make the ultimate decision, I'm going to franchises that I have seen that have won year after year, the consistency," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Grab someone from San Antonio, grab someone from Boston.
"Get these people that have been there year after year after year; they develop young talent, their scouting is correct, they get European players, they do it the right way."
Barry said it should not matter if the person has been a general manager before or not, as finding someone with a winning pedigree and the ability to find talent is paramount.
Supposedly, the Suns' search is down to three: Boston's Ryan McDonough, Milwaukee's Jeff Weltman and San Antonio's Scott Layden.
Of those three, perhaps it's McDonough who is the most intriguing. Currently the Celtics' assistant general manager, the 33-year-old has experience in the team's video department as well as a scout, too.
Yet, he's never been a general manager.
"There's a ton of guys in this league that have pretty prominent positions that have been video coordinators, and that's where they start," Barry said. "I don't get caught up in that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.