Updated May 6, 2013 - 3:30 pm
ESPN analyst: Suns should find GM from winning team
"If I'm Robert Sarver or whoever's going to make the ultimate decision, I'm going to franchises that I have seen that have won year after year, the consistency," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Grab someone from San Antonio, grab someone from Boston.
"Get these people that have been there year after year after year; they develop young talent, their scouting is correct, they get European players, they do it the right way."
Barry said it should not matter if the person has been a general manager before or not, as finding someone with a winning pedigree and the ability to find talent is paramount.
Supposedly, the Suns' search is down to three: Boston's Ryan McDonough, Milwaukee's Jeff Weltman and San Antonio's Scott Layden.
Of those three, perhaps it's McDonough who is the most intriguing. Currently the Celtics' assistant general manager, the 33-year-old has experience in the team's video department as well as a scout, too.
Yet, he's never been a general manager.
"There's a ton of guys in this league that have pretty prominent positions that have been video coordinators, and that's where they start," Barry said. "I don't get caught up in that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 5How did the Suns beat one of the best NBA offenses?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 4Ryan McDonough discusses the Suns' recent losses.
- The DISH - December 3, 2013 - Tuesday December 3Jon Bloom brings us this day in Suns' history.