Updated Apr 23, 2013 - 3:20 pm
Suns' Lon Babby says blame isn't solely on Lance Blanks
Monday, the organization cut ties with GM Lance Blanks following a difficult 25-57 campaign -- the second-worst mark in team's 45-year history.
Much of the blame ultimately falls on Blanks' shoulders -- after all, he was the architect of a roster that failed to make the playoffs for the third straight season.
But Blanks wasn't solely culpable for the organization's failings, and team president of basketball operations Lon Babby admitted as much in a conversation with Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday.
"I don't think it's appropriate for me to not accept my share of responsibility," Babby said. "I'm ultimately responsible, I'm the president of basketball operations and I think I have to accept that responsibility and learn from it.
"(Team owner) Robert (Sarver) gave me two more years and I'm going to work my rear end off for those two years to continue to do the best I can, but I don't think it's appropriate or graceful for me to say I had nothing to do with decisions that have been made."
The Suns did have an uncommon front office structure, with Babby shouldering many of the duties general managers around the league have tradtionally performed. Will that "sharing of power" cost the Suns top flight candidates?
"People are coming here knowing I'm here and I hope they view that as a positive and not as a negative," he said. "I think I bring a lot to the table in terms of my areas of expertise and I'm very respectful of my limitations and I think I've honored that all through my time here.
"I've not run into it as an issue so far and I hope I don't going forward, but I make it clear that the person coming into that position is going to be empowered in a very, very significant way."
So now, the search for Blanks' replacement begins. Babby stated he's looking for a 'first-rate talent evaluator' to take over the reins of the general manager post.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.