Updated Apr 22, 2013 - 3:12 pm
Report: Suns hoped to hire former Lakers coach Mike Brown
According to ESPN's Marc Stein, the team had its sights set on former Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown.
Another indication Lindsey Hunter on shaky ground: I'm told Suns tried to hire Mike Brown after Alvin Gentry was fired and AGAIN this month— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) April 22, 2013
Word is Suns reached out to Brown to see if he'd come to PHX now but sources say Brown passed to focus on Cavs (and other potential gigs)— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) April 22, 2013
Hunter was named the team's interim head coach on January 20, and guided the team to a 12-29 record in place of Alvin Gentry.
However, it appears the Suns' overtures were rebuffed, in part because the coach is hopeful to join the Cavaliers, who fired him after the 2009-10 season. The Cavs finished with a worse record than the Suns this past season, though, so that may say something about how Phoenix is perceived around the NBA.
Then again, the Cavs do have superstar Kyrie Irving as well as other young players like Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson.
Brown has been a head coach for parts of seven seasons, compiling a 314-167 record.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.