Updated Apr 22, 2013 - 3:12 pm
Report: Suns hoped to hire former Lakers coach Mike Brown
According to ESPN's Marc Stein, the team had its sights set on former Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown.
Another indication Lindsey Hunter on shaky ground: I'm told Suns tried to hire Mike Brown after Alvin Gentry was fired and AGAIN this month— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) April 22, 2013
Word is Suns reached out to Brown to see if he'd come to PHX now but sources say Brown passed to focus on Cavs (and other potential gigs)— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) April 22, 2013
Hunter was named the team's interim head coach on January 20, and guided the team to a 12-29 record in place of Alvin Gentry.
However, it appears the Suns' overtures were rebuffed, in part because the coach is hopeful to join the Cavaliers, who fired him after the 2009-10 season. The Cavs finished with a worse record than the Suns this past season, though, so that may say something about how Phoenix is perceived around the NBA.
Then again, the Cavs do have superstar Kyrie Irving as well as other young players like Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson.
Brown has been a head coach for parts of seven seasons, compiling a 314-167 record.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso