Updated Apr 22, 2013 - 3:12 pm
Report: Suns hoped to hire former Lakers coach Mike Brown
According to ESPN's Marc Stein, the team had its sights set on former Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown.
Another indication Lindsey Hunter on shaky ground: I'm told Suns tried to hire Mike Brown after Alvin Gentry was fired and AGAIN this month— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) April 22, 2013
Word is Suns reached out to Brown to see if he'd come to PHX now but sources say Brown passed to focus on Cavs (and other potential gigs)— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) April 22, 2013
Hunter was named the team's interim head coach on January 20, and guided the team to a 12-29 record in place of Alvin Gentry.
However, it appears the Suns' overtures were rebuffed, in part because the coach is hopeful to join the Cavaliers, who fired him after the 2009-10 season. The Cavs finished with a worse record than the Suns this past season, though, so that may say something about how Phoenix is perceived around the NBA.
Then again, the Cavs do have superstar Kyrie Irving as well as other young players like Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson.
Brown has been a head coach for parts of seven seasons, compiling a 314-167 record.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.