Updated Apr 18, 2013 - 1:38 pm
Suns' Gortat: Young guys think they're better than they really are
The team won just 25 of 82 games, and were barely competitive in many of them.
Some of that, of course, can be attributed to a lack of talent. However, as center Marcin Gortat puts it, some of it can also can be attributed to a lack of effort.
"There was a situation during a game where players were saying they were confused, and the only one thing coach was asking was, 'I was asking you to play hard,'" Gortat said after cleaning out his locker Thursday. "Some people say they were confused, and I don't understand what's confusing about playing hard."
Gortat, who was in his second full season with the team, noted that he came from a system in Orlando where that was not really an issue.
"I learned one thing," Gortat said. "It doesn't matter what's going on with the team, what's going on with your life, you've got to go out and compete every single night.
"If you aren't going to do that there's 1,000 kids behind your back ready to get your spot, so you've got to go out and play."
The ironic part of that statement, perhaps, is Gortat pointed to some of the team's younger players as having to learn that effort must be given all the time, every night.
"I can't change that, personally, I wish, but they've got to do it on their own or coach has got to do it," he said. "It is what it is."
That's not to say Gortat did not try to help out. He said he, along with veteran center Jermaine O'Neal, did what he could to help his teammates understand what being an NBA player requires. But, it ultimately comes down to the individual player in question.
"I've got to tell you, when I was making it into the league I was listening," Gortat said. "I was listening, and I had a lot of great veterans, I had a lot of great strong-minded people on the team.
"If I tried to act like a smartass and tried to pretend like I know everything and I understand everything, I'd get slapped in the head automatically," he said. "I grew up in a great system, and these young guys -- there's a lot of young guys -- they just think they're better than they really are."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.