Updated Apr 18, 2013 - 12:49 pm
Gortat: Suns were mentally weak in 2012-13
But what they lacked was, apparently, not always evident in the box score.
"We are missing character, we are missing just strong minds in the team," Suns center Marcin Gortat said Thursday after cleaning out his locker. "We are just weak, mentally weak basically."
Gortat, who missed the team's final 21 games with a foot injury, averaged 11.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game for the team. Never one to mince words, he added that the team needs more talent and more athleticism.
"People that want to compete and fight," he said. "That's it, that's the most important thing.
"That's the decision to make by the people in the front office; I'm just going to look at myself and try to correct my mistakes and try to be better next year."
And Gortat, admittedly, could do better. Saying he had his own issues "with a lot of different things that didn't involve basketball," the 29-year-old thinks he was just starting to figure things out before the injury.
"Unfortunately the injury was the biggest thing in the season," he said.
Gortat has one year left on a very reasonable contract, and it's possible the team will look to trade him. But that's not for the player to concern himself with, really. All Gortat wants to do -- all he can do -- is try to get healthy and be ready to go next season.
"I'm going to focus on myself, first of all, to become a better player and better leader, and hopefully next year I'm going to perform better."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.