Updated Apr 18, 2013 - 6:42 am
Suns Strokes: Phoenix closes out 2012-13 season with blowout loss to Denver
Playing without Goran Dragic (ankle) and Jermaine O'Neal (shin), Lindsey Hunter's squad looked listless from the start, as the Nuggets scored 35 points in the first quarter. Denver extended its lead to 26 by halftime with another 30-point quarter in the second period, and from there the final 24 minutes were nothing short of a painful formality.
In his third career start, Kendall Marshall finished his rookie season with a career-high 14 assists. The former first-round pick was, however, only 1-of-5 from the field.
Hamed Haddadi also came off the bench and had a night to remember despite the final outcome. The Suns center scored a career-high 14 points and snagged seven rebounds.
Shannon Brown, who went from bench contributor to starter to rarely-used reserve in 2012-13, also added 13 points on 6-of-8 shooting.
There was plenty of bad in Wednesday's finale (38.8 percent shooting from the field, 28 percent from three-point range, allowing 80 paint points) but the 20-point loss served as a fitting culmination to one of the most painful seasons in franchise history.
The Suns finished with a 25-57 record, their worst since the 1968-1969 expansion season.
• The Utah Jazz didn't do the Suns any favors Wednesday night. Tyrone Corbin's squad lost 86-70 to the Memphis Grizzlies, securing the Los Angeles Lakers' spot in the postseason. Phoenix will only receive one lottery pick in the 2013 NBA Draft.
• With the Cleveland Cavaliers' 105-98 loss to the Charlotte Bobcats Wednesday night, the Suns finished with the fourth-worst record in league. Phoenix will have a 11.9 percent chance to win the No. 1 overall pick.
• The Suns went 12-29 under interim coach Lindsey Hunter.
The Suns' season came to a close Wednesday night, and players will clear out their lockers Thursday at US Airways Center. The upcoming offseason will be one of the more intriguing ones in recent history and dates to look forward to are May 21 (NBA Draft Lottery) and NBA Draft (June 27).
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.