Updated Apr 11, 2013 - 9:36 am
Lindsey Hunter's fate could be sealed
If this week is any indication, that answer will be 'no.'
I believe this week has sealed Hunter's fate and it has nothing to do with the recent 10-game losing streak, the franchise-record home losing streak or the fact they hadn't won a game since March 18 before beating the Mavericks Wednesday night.
It has everything to do with what players are saying. Michael Beasley started it off by saying he doesn't listen to anyone anymore, including his coaches. Now anything Beasley says, you take with a grain of salt. Nonetheless, when your $18 million project says he is tuning out the coaching, it's not good.
But more importantly, it's what Luis Scola said that makes it perfectly clear that change is needed.
"We just don't know how to play well," Scola said. "We don't know how to play basketball and that's why we lose. We saw the problem pretty much the first week and we couldn't fix it."
Now Beasley is one thing, but Scola is one of the most respected players in the game. And if he is saying the Suns don't know how to play basketball then they don't know how to play basketball.
Hunter is 10-27 for a .270 winning percentage as the Suns coach. That's not bad, it's downright awful, embarrassing and pathetic. He doesn't have a lot to work with as Lance Blanks hasn't exactly built a team worth the price of admission.
But Hunter and his message are clearly not working. The Suns haven't gotten better under him, they've gotten worse! So it's time for a new voice, a coach who can teach this team how to play basketball.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.