Updated Apr 8, 2013 - 4:24 pm
Suns head down home stretch of forgettable season
Owners of a dismal 23-54 record with five games remaining, the Suns will miss the postseason for the third straight year.
Normally, this would be the time of year the guys in the purple and orange uniforms would be gearing up for the playoffs. Twenty-nine times in their 44-year history, the Suns have qualified for the postseason.
That is not the case this season, but there's still a lot to play for according to interim head coach Lindsey Hunter.
"It's like I've been telling these guys, we're all being judged on our performances," Hunter said following Monday's practice. "You've got to come to play, the season's not over. Just because we're not going to the playoffs doesn't mean the season is over.
"There are five games to play and this is what we get paid to do and you should want to compete and enjoy it. You never get these years back, so you want to take advantage of them."
At best, the Suns can tie the second-worst mark in team history at 28-54. Only the expansion Suns had a worse record at 16-66 in 1968-69.
Making matters worse is the fact that the Suns are on the road for four of their last five, including Tuesday night's tilt in Houston against the Rockets.
Center Marcin Gortat, who hasn't played since March 6 because of a midfoot sprain, did accompany the team on the road trip and is hoping to play in at least one game before the end of the season.
Veteran center Jermaine O'Neal, who has been bothered by a bruised shin, practiced Monday and said he'll play Tuesday night.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.