Updated Apr 1, 2013 - 5:38 pm
Suns analyst: Team can use final games to get good look at roster
However, that does not mean the last eight games of the season are little more than a waste of time or a chance to strengthen draft position.
"You definitely can kind of look at guys and see where they're at, see are they still engaged," Suns analyst Tim Kempton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Are the guys coming to work every day and putting in the time and the effort even though it's a bad situation."
As their roster stands now, the Suns have six players age 25 or younger, so there is still plenty that needs to be learned about some of them.
"You get a first-hand look at 12, 13 guys," Kempton said. "You could even look at guys at different positions, if you want to, and different lineups and see who plays well with other guys.
"It's a time to audition and try things."
So that could mean more time for players like Kendall Marshall, Wesley Johnson, Marcus Morris and Markieff Morris, even at the expense of being competitive.
Like, for instance, when the team sat point guard Goran Dragic for two games last week, both of which were losses. Some viewed the decision as the Suns' way of trying to "tank" and improve draft position. That may have been the goal, but no matter what the reasoning, Kempton does not believe decisions like that -- and others that have them seeing less playing time -- are not moves veteran players should be upset with.
"Hopefully it was conveyed to them, hopefully it was more than just one conversation," he said of not playing. "If you're a veteran, you can handle a lot of stuff.
"You've been around, you've seen a lot of guys get minutes when they shouldn't have; you've seen young players come along, you've seen veterans get thrown out of the mix."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.