Updated Mar 29, 2013 - 5:54 pm
Suns' play-by-play announcer Al McCoy: Kendall Marshall played best basketball in last two games
"Although I'm certainly not involved in closed door meetings, the front office and the coaches certainly want to see Kendall Marshall, to see what he can do when he starts the game and plays 30-plus minutes," McCoy told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Friday. "I can't say anything surprises me this season that happens with the Suns."
Without Dragic the past two games, the Suns unsurprisingly dropped both contests by double-digits. But despite the team's results in the back-to-back situation, Marshall filled in admirably as a starter.
Against the Jazz Wednesday night, the former No. 13 overall pick had 13 assists and held Utah guard Mo Williams to eight points on 3-of-9 shooting. In Thursday night's 14-point loss to the Kings, Marshall wasn't highly effective at the defensive end against Isaiah Thomas (23 points and eight assists), but he became the first Suns rookie since Negele Knight (1991) to have back-to-back 10-assist performances.
"I thought he played better than many of us anticipated," said McCoy. "His better game was probably in Utah...He took a couple nice drives to the basket that were impressive and played under control.
"I think he probably played his best basketball in those two games. It's probably because he got 30-plus minutes of time on the floor."
In his first NBA season, Marshall has averaged 2.9 points, 2.6 rebounds and 14.0 minutes per game.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset with success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?