Updated Mar 22, 2013 - 10:25 pm
Suns Strokes: Phoenix eliminated from the playoffs
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 117-86 loss to the Wizards on March 22.
The Suns kept pace with Detroit, which lost at Miami. The Suns and Pistons are tied for the fourth-worst record in the NBA; and only a half-game back of the Cavaliers from owning the third-worst record.
The Suns suffered their ninth loss of 25 or more points. The Suns surrendered a 20-6 first quarter run and Minnesota never looked back, snapping a nine-game road losing streak and 13-game road losing streak against the Western Conference. Minnesota scored a season-high 117 points on 53.2 percent shooting, the 21st time the Suns have allowed an opponent to shoot 50 percent or better in a game.
It's official. (As if there was ever any doubt.) The Suns will not make the playoffs, eliminated with the loss to Minnesota, meaning a third straight season without a postseason appearance. The Suns last went three years in a row minus playoff basketball from 1986-1988.
He Said It:
"Disappointed in our start of the game," interim head coach Lindsey Hunter said of being outscored 31-18 in the first quarter. "I just didn't think we played with any fire in the beginning. "I don't like making excuses. This is an opportunity for some of our guys. You should try to take advantage of the opportunity to play. I think in the beginning guys did not really do that."
• The Suns suffered their ninth loss of 25 or more points.
• Suns did once hold a lead in the game, 4-2 at 10:14 mark of the 1st quarter; of course it lasted all of 20 seconds.
• Suns are 4-3 vs. teams with winning records, 1-4 vs. teams with losing records in last 13 games.
• Jared Dudley (sick), Jermaine O'Neal (calf strain, sick) did not suit up Friday night.
The Suns (23-47) end a four-game homestand playing the Brooklyn Nets on Sunday, March 24.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Suns analyst: Team would benefit from veteran experience, clutch performer
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?