Suns' play-by-play announcer Al McCoy: Wesley Johnson fits in well with Suns
Goran Dragic was brought back to town, and the move seems to be paying dividends, as the Dragon is leading the team in points(14.1), assists (7.0) and minutes (33.0) per game. He also leads the league in double-digit assist games since the All-Star break.
Over the last two months, Phoenix has also taken down the Los Angeles Lakers twice and won in San Antonio.
But outside of Dragic's improved play and a few notable wins, the Suns have struggled to put a consistent product on the court of late.
That is, except for Wesley Johnson.
The fourth overall draft pick by Minnesota in 2010 has lit up the stat sheet for the Suns since being inserted into the starting lineup on March 8.
The small forward, who came to Phoenix after a disappointing two-year tenure with the Timberwolves, is averaging 29.2 minutes and 12.3 points per game in the month of March. In nine starts, the former Syracuse standout has scored in double figures on five different occasions.
Suns' play-by-play announcer Al McCoy told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf that many people around the league doubted Johnson's ability to play in the NBA.
"I don't think there's any question," McCoy said. "I think those of us who have watched him in the second half of the season would certainly agree. He can play in the NBA and he's certainly given every indication of that, particularly since the All-Star break."
Johnson scored 18 points in 38 minutes in the Suns' 88-79 loss to the Washington Wizards Wednesday night. While Johnson's recent play was unexpected, McCoy thinks the potential has always been there.
"He may be the biggest surprise because we weren't very familiar with him," he said.
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns