Updated Mar 22, 2013 - 1:19 pm
Suns on the brink of another playoff-less season
If it is, that number for the Phoenix Suns is one. A Suns loss or one more win by the Los Angeles Lakers would eliminate Phoenix from postseason contention for the third straight season. It'll be the team's first three-year postseason absence since the span from 1986 to 1988.
The Suns host the Minnesota Timberwolves Friday at US Airways Center, and they'll be short-handed when they do. Center Jermaine O'Neal will miss the contest with a left calf strain and an illness and according to interim head coach Lindsey Hunter, swingman Jared Dudley will probably miss the game as well.
"I'm thinking both guys have the stomach flu or something," he said.
Dudley was limited to just eight minutes of playing time in Wednesday night's loss to the Washington Wizards.
O'Neal's absence means the Suns are again without a lot of big bodies. Forward Luis Scola will play center against the Timberwolves.
"We don't have many bigs now so we've got to kind of ration the minutes out and hope nobody gets in foul trouble," Hunter said with a chuckle.
The loss to Washington was also punctuated by Hunter's benching of four young players for what he described as a lack of effort. Markieff and Marcus Morris along with Michael Beasley and Kendall Marshall all watched the entire second half of the nine-point loss.
Did they get the message?
"The guys were pretty high-spirited in practice," Hunter said. "So I'm not going to worry one way or the other. Guys that play hard are going to play and we'll keep pushing the issue and trying to get them to be better and that's our job, every day, get better."
Marshall and the Morris brothers were the last players to leave the practice court at Friday's shootaround.
"Obviously, they got some of the message," Hunter said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.