Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 11:59 am
New coach Dan Majerle believes Grand Canyon University is capable of big things
The Suns great, who was an assistant on the team's coaching staff from 2008 until resigning this season, is finally getting his chance, as he is taking over at Grand Canyon University.
Majerle is replacing Russ Pennell, who guided the Antelopes to a 72-44 record over four seasons -- and two postseason appearances in the last two years -- but resigned late last week.
"I'm happy about it," Majerle said Monday after being introduced. "They reached out to me, they decided to go a different direction, and they called and wanted to know if I'd be interested."
Majerle said he thought about the idea and decided "it was kind of a no-brainer."
"This is a great university, a growing university and an opportunity to stay in Phoenix, to be a head coach."
Part of the allure is also the fact that GCU will be transitioning from Division II to Division I next season and Jerry Colangelo, who is a special assistant to school president Brian Mueller, said Majerle was the right choice.
"When you think about a guy who you want to lead a program, who has the kind of presence and has the kind of work ethic that he does," Colangelo said.
Colangelo believes Majerle's reputation will have far reaching effects, from putting a coaching staff together to recruiting talent.
Of course Majerle, who has no experience coaching in the collegiate ranks, said the one thing he enjoyed most from his stint on the Suns' staff was actually coaching, and he'll get a chance to work with young players in his new role. And while he has plenty to learn about the college game and how to recruit, Majerle is confident he'll be just fine in his new role.
"I think this is a university that can be a Gonzaga or a Butler or a team like that," Majerle said, noting other very successful mid-major programs. "That's why I'm stepping in, that's why I think I can do it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.