Report: Dan Majerle will take over for Russ Pennell as GCU head coach
The university announced that head coach Russ Pennell resigned has resigned after four seasons with the program.
"I leave with great respect for Grand Canyon University and thank Brian Mueller for giving me the opportunity to lead the men's basketball program over the past four seasons," Pennell said in the release. "I look forward to the next opportunity that lies ahead."
According to Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro, it's who will replace Pennell that'll certainly pique some interest around the Valley.
Russ Pennell will be out as head coach of Grand Canyon University and I'm hearing rumblings that Dan Majerle will be the next head coach.— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) March 15, 2013
Majerle, who played eight seasons with the Phoenix Suns, served as an assistant coach with the organization from 2008-2013.
The former three-time All-Star resigned from his post in January after the Suns chose not to name him as interim head coach following Alvin Gentry's departure.
In four seasons at GCU, Pennell led the Antelopes to two NCAA tournament appearances and had a 72-44 record. GCU will move up to Division I next season when they join the Western Athletic Conference.
- Jon Barry, NBA Analyst - Friday May 24Barry expects a physical match up between the Heat & Pacers in Game 2 of the NBA Eastern Conference
- Dan Majerle, Suns legend & GCU coach - Thursday May 23Thunder Dan calls in to argue with Doug about last night's Pacers-Heat game
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM