Updated Mar 15, 2013 - 5:27 pm
Report: Dan Majerle will take over for Russ Pennell as GCU head coach
The university announced that head coach Russ Pennell resigned has resigned after four seasons with the program.
"I leave with great respect for Grand Canyon University and thank Brian Mueller for giving me the opportunity to lead the men's basketball program over the past four seasons," Pennell said in the release. "I look forward to the next opportunity that lies ahead."
According to Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro, it's who will replace Pennell that'll certainly pique some interest around the Valley.
Russ Pennell will be out as head coach of Grand Canyon University and I'm hearing rumblings that Dan Majerle will be the next head coach.— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) March 15, 2013
Majerle, who played eight seasons with the Phoenix Suns, served as an assistant coach with the organization from 2008-2013.
The former three-time All-Star resigned from his post in January after the Suns chose not to name him as interim head coach following Alvin Gentry's departure.
In four seasons at GCU, Pennell led the Antelopes to two NCAA tournament appearances and had a 72-44 record. GCU will move up to Division I next season when they join the Western Athletic Conference.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 5How did the Suns beat one of the best NBA offenses?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 4Ryan McDonough discusses the Suns' recent losses.
- The DISH - December 3, 2013 - Tuesday December 3Jon Bloom brings us this day in Suns' history.