Updated Mar 15, 2013 - 5:27 pm
Report: Dan Majerle will take over for Russ Pennell as GCU head coach
The university announced that head coach Russ Pennell resigned has resigned after four seasons with the program.
"I leave with great respect for Grand Canyon University and thank Brian Mueller for giving me the opportunity to lead the men's basketball program over the past four seasons," Pennell said in the release. "I look forward to the next opportunity that lies ahead."
According to Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro, it's who will replace Pennell that'll certainly pique some interest around the Valley.
Russ Pennell will be out as head coach of Grand Canyon University and I'm hearing rumblings that Dan Majerle will be the next head coach.— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) March 15, 2013
Majerle, who played eight seasons with the Phoenix Suns, served as an assistant coach with the organization from 2008-2013.
The former three-time All-Star resigned from his post in January after the Suns chose not to name him as interim head coach following Alvin Gentry's departure.
In four seasons at GCU, Pennell led the Antelopes to two NCAA tournament appearances and had a 72-44 record. GCU will move up to Division I next season when they join the Western Athletic Conference.
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.