Suns center Marcin Gortat likely out for season with Lisfranc sprain
The injury is expected to keep him out for at least 3-4 weeks.
"For me it looks like it's more like a season than three weeks because after three weeks there's going to be another week of treatment and before I get back conditioning-wise and get in shape and everything the season's going to be over," Gortat said after practice Thursday.
Gortat left the Suns' 98-71 loss to Toronto Wednesday late in the first quarter after he was stepped on by Raptors forward Amir Johnson.
"It hurts, it hurts," an emotional Gortat said. "All the work I put in...frustrating. Six years without injury."
Gortat had started each of the Suns' 61 games this season, and while he is thankful the injury isn't worse, he's not pleased with the idea of his season essentially being over.
"I'm definitely not going to work all this to get back just to come back for one or two games," he said. "I'd rather just rest the rest of the year."
Should this be the end of Gortat's season, the 29-year-old will have finished with averages of 11.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game.
Gortat added he will not play for the Polish national basketball team like he did last offseason, pointing to the extra work as a reason for the injury.
"Basically that's what screwed me over, that's what really screwed me over," he said, saying he's sure the added wear and tear led to this. "That was just stupid."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Thursday May 9McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about what he's looking for in a new head coach