Updated Mar 1, 2013 - 1:06 pm
Kerr: Suns are playing out season the right way
He has not had a hand in the team's efforts since then, which include completely remaking the roster and missing the playoffs three straight years. And while he knows the best way for the team to improve is through the draft, he's not ready to say fans should be rooting against wins and for losses.
"That's always a tough one," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday. "You don't want to tank; you want to see life."
Kerr suggested it might be best "to lose close games," providing hope but not wins that will hurt the team's draft position.
Then again, the Suns have kind of done that lately.
At 20-39 Phoenix is tied for the fourth-worst record in the NBA, but close wins over the Minnesota Timberwolves and San Antonio Spurs allowed the New Orleans Hornets and Sacramento Kings to "catch" them in the standings.
The trick is, though, you cannot expect a coaching staff or players to try and lose, which is why they have not gone away from veterans like Jermaine O'Neal, who has been playing well lately, in favor of unproven or even struggling young players.
"I think the Suns are still trying to win games," Kerr said. "You've got a new coach there in Lindsey Hunter who wants to make his mark; there's a competitive nature in all of us in this league where you hate to just say 'Hey we're going to lay down.'
"The other thing is there's no Anthony Davis in this draft, so it's not like drafting sixth is going to be that much different from three in all probability."
A recent two-game win streak notwithstanding, the Suns are still likely to find themselves drafting higher than they have in quite some time. And if they can do that while remaining somewhat competitive and creating the right culture and mentality, then that would be ideal.
"I think the Suns are doing it the right way," Kerr added. "Keep playing hard but give your young guys a chance, see what they have and just kind of see where the chips fall."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Phoenix Suns GM on Eric Bledsoe: 'I think he will be back at the end of the day'
- Phoenix Suns go all in on two point-guard lineups
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Thursday July 17ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard gives his take on Eric Bledsoe’s contract situation with the Phoeni