Updated Mar 1, 2013 - 12:21 pm
Former Suns GM: Team thought it had a draft night deal with Warriors for Stephen Curry
And he was almost a Phoenix Sun.
Back on draft night 2009, when the Minnesota Timberwolves selected Syracuse point guard Johnny Flynn at No. 6, an audible cheer could be heard coming from the Suns' war room at the US Airways Center.
Curry, a point guard from Davidson, was available, and the rumor was the Suns had a deal with the Warriors that would net them that pick.
Except the Warriors ended up keeping Curry and the deal, which involved Amare Stoudemire and other players, never happened.
"The deal was contingent, on our end, on Curry being there," former Suns GM Steve Kerr told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday. "And when he was still there, we were under the impression that we had a deal and unfortunately in the NBA, and I'm sure in every sport, nothing's done until the trade call is made so it fell through after that," he said. "We looked at him as our next Steve Nash."
Kerr, who is now an analyst for TNT, said he did not want to divulge all the details of that night, but said they viewed Curry as a player who had a similar skill set and similar personality to Nash.
The Suns ended up being alright that season, as Stoudemire helped lead the team to the Western Conference Finals, but he left for New York in the offseason and the Suns have not made the playoffs since.
Now Curry, at just 24, has turned into one of the game's best guards. He's averaging 21.9 points, 6.5 assists and 4.1 rebounds per night while shooting .447 from the field and .460 from three point range.
But that game against the Knicks left an impression on many people, including Kerr. Curry made 18 of 28 shots -- including 11 of 13 threes -- while dishing out seven assists and grabbing six rebounds.
"That was maybe the most impressive shooting performance in one game that I've ever seen in my life," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.