Suns' Babby: Spurs, Thunder have right blueprint
The Spurs, as we all know, have been one of the league's elite franchise for a decade and a half, while the Thunder appear poised to carry the torch for the foreseeable future.
"I think those are exactly what you try to accomplish," Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "What they have done brilliantly in San Antonio is, first of all, build a team around the personality of their franchise player, which was Tim Duncan."
Babby pointed to the relationship between Duncan and head coach Gregg Popovich as being equivalent between the one Red Auerbach shared with Bill Russell, and said it's "a blessing when you have a player and a coach who can accomplish that."
Of course, Babby noted the Suns are not going to be able to draft a Tim Duncan. However, the Spurs have done an excellent job of creating a system that is easy to assimilate into, and it leads to players seemingly performing above their capabilities.
"If you look at the personnel they have you can see that," he said. "They have defined roles, they have an understanding of what they're supposed to do."
Babby has long maintained that is the goal in Phoenix, and that while the team may not be winning games this year, the foundation of a promising future is hopefully being put in place.
"One of my favorite quotes the last couple of weeks is Kevin Durant, when they were here, commenting on where we were relative to where they were, and he reminded people in his rookie year they were 3-30 at one point," Babby said. "But that what they were doing and what he looks back on now and appreciates is that they were being taught.
"And the lessons they learned then are the very lessons that are holding them in such good stead now, and that's exactly what we're trying to accomplish."
The Suns are 19-39 and tied for last in the Western Conference, so they've got a ways to go. But while it may take time and the team will need a little bit of luck, the blueprint is out there to be followed.
"If you ask me who is the quintessential model for what we're trying to accomplish, it's that culture," he said. "We're not necessarily going to play that way and we're not going to have a Tim Duncan to be sure, but you know you've got it right that when you plug in parts they all seem to work."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns