Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 6:31 pm
Suns guard Jared Dudley: Elite teams have players who know their roles
Those range of experiences have made Dudley quite the expert on what intangibles elite teams have.
"They have players that know their roles and know exactly what they're going to do each night," Dudley told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "It's the Nick Collisons, the Perkins, the Noahs, the Boshs, the Haslems, where hey you're going to be the best screener on the floor tonight or you're the guy getting all the loose balls.
"It's an identity thing and something we're trying to get to. It's not just the stars, it's knowing the system inside and out, offensively and defensively. And embracing your role."
Dudley's role has been an interesting point of contention of late. Long thought to be one of the team's few on-court leaders, the former Boston College star has seen his minutes dwindle under interim head coach Lindsey Hunter.
Over his last 10 games, Dudley played only 24.5 minutes per contest. It's a situation that was highlighted during Sunday's 97-69 debacle against Oklahoma City, when the veteran guard appeared for only eight minutes.
"I definitely haven't had conversations with Lindsey (about playing time)," said Dudley. To be honest with you, it's like you have your boss and I have my boss. Whatever is called upon me, I try to do it to the best of my ability, whether it's 10, 15 or 40 minutes."
While Dudley admitted he would love to always be on the floor, the Suns guard said as a captain of the team he has to lead by example and accept changes as they come.
"As a captain and as a leader, just because you don't get into a game you can't pout," said Dudley. "I mean it happens. You go through ups and downs. For me, you try to take it as a positive and work on it."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t