Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 11:40 am
Dragic, Marshall: Suns new backcourt duo
"I think they have the size" to make it work, according to interim head coach Lindsey Hunter. "Kendall has the ability to get us settled and to just allow Goran to kind of run free and create kind of like (Manu) Ginobili."
Hunter unveiled the pairing in the Suns' most recent win, a 96-90 victory at Memphis, and then started the two on the floor together to begin the second half against Oklahoma City Sunday. "I wanted to try and get us kick started with Goran at the 2," Hunter said.
Hunter's decision Sunday didn't pan out. It paid big dividends, however, at Memphis.
Trailing by five with 8:35 remaining, Hunter inserted Dragic into the game but rather than have him replace Marshall, Hunter kept the rookie on the floor and moved Dragic to Shannon Brown's spot at shooting guard.
"It really freed Goran up to just score," Hunter said of Dragic's 15 points to spark the Suns comeback. "I think he's a natural scorer."
Dragic said he and Marshall need more practice time to get a better feel for one another. They've shared the court for a little more than 33 minutes.
He added he's fine with playing both guard positions if that's the coach's decision.
"A few years ago, (teams) were looking at me differently," Dragic said. "They give me more space on my shot. I was more time alone. But now it is different. Now everybody is so close that it's a different situation. If I'm going to be open I'm going to shoot it."
How much more Hunter pairs Dragic and Marshall in the backcourt will be determined on a game-by-game basis.
"If we struggle scoring a little bit," Hunter said, "then we will venture into that and see if that can get us going."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?
- Jon Barry, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 18Who is the team to beat in the East?
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org