Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 11:40 am
Dragic, Marshall: Suns new backcourt duo
"I think they have the size" to make it work, according to interim head coach Lindsey Hunter. "Kendall has the ability to get us settled and to just allow Goran to kind of run free and create kind of like (Manu) Ginobili."
Hunter unveiled the pairing in the Suns' most recent win, a 96-90 victory at Memphis, and then started the two on the floor together to begin the second half against Oklahoma City Sunday. "I wanted to try and get us kick started with Goran at the 2," Hunter said.
Hunter's decision Sunday didn't pan out. It paid big dividends, however, at Memphis.
Trailing by five with 8:35 remaining, Hunter inserted Dragic into the game but rather than have him replace Marshall, Hunter kept the rookie on the floor and moved Dragic to Shannon Brown's spot at shooting guard.
"It really freed Goran up to just score," Hunter said of Dragic's 15 points to spark the Suns comeback. "I think he's a natural scorer."
Dragic said he and Marshall need more practice time to get a better feel for one another. They've shared the court for a little more than 33 minutes.
He added he's fine with playing both guard positions if that's the coach's decision.
"A few years ago, (teams) were looking at me differently," Dragic said. "They give me more space on my shot. I was more time alone. But now it is different. Now everybody is so close that it's a different situation. If I'm going to be open I'm going to shoot it."
How much more Hunter pairs Dragic and Marshall in the backcourt will be determined on a game-by-game basis.
"If we struggle scoring a little bit," Hunter said, "then we will venture into that and see if that can get us going."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.