Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 1:28 am
Former Suns owner Jerry Colangelo: Dan Majerle is 'a lunch bucket guy'
"When you think of Dan Majerle, you think of a guy who gave maximum effort in every game, every practice, in everything he did," Colangelo said.
Those intangibles not only made Majerle an asset on the court, but also as an assistant coach with the organization for five-plus seasons.
It's the reason many were surprised in January that Majerle was passed over by the Suns in favor of Lindsey Hunter for the interim head coaching position.
While Thunder Dan's number wasn't called in Phoenix, his former boss was more than happy to give a glowing review of the former All-Star on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Monday.
"Dan Majerle is a working class guy from Michigan," Colangelo said. "He's a lunch-bucket guy, that's who he really is. The doctors (before the draft) told us to stay away from him because of his bad back and the pins in his ankles.
"What they didn't tell us is about his heart. He overcame all of those obstacles through hard work, commitment, toughness, all of the intangibles you look for in athletes. That's who Majerle is."
While there are very few remnants left from Colangelo's days (1968-2004) with the organization, the founding father of the Suns said he hopes the team's rebuilding process is a rather short one.
"I'm hoping for the best for them," said Colangelo, now chairman of USA Basketball. "I gave birth to the franchise. I love the franchise. I hate to see them lose any games. I hate to see any of the negativity that's taken place.
"I'm hoping this ends quickly and that they can turn this thing around."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.