Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 1:28 am
Former Suns owner Jerry Colangelo: Dan Majerle is 'a lunch bucket guy'
"When you think of Dan Majerle, you think of a guy who gave maximum effort in every game, every practice, in everything he did," Colangelo said.
Those intangibles not only made Majerle an asset on the court, but also as an assistant coach with the organization for five-plus seasons.
It's the reason many were surprised in January that Majerle was passed over by the Suns in favor of Lindsey Hunter for the interim head coaching position.
While Thunder Dan's number wasn't called in Phoenix, his former boss was more than happy to give a glowing review of the former All-Star on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Monday.
"Dan Majerle is a working class guy from Michigan," Colangelo said. "He's a lunch-bucket guy, that's who he really is. The doctors (before the draft) told us to stay away from him because of his bad back and the pins in his ankles.
"What they didn't tell us is about his heart. He overcame all of those obstacles through hard work, commitment, toughness, all of the intangibles you look for in athletes. That's who Majerle is."
While there are very few remnants left from Colangelo's days (1968-2004) with the organization, the founding father of the Suns said he hopes the team's rebuilding process is a rather short one.
"I'm hoping for the best for them," said Colangelo, now chairman of USA Basketball. "I gave birth to the franchise. I love the franchise. I hate to see them lose any games. I hate to see any of the negativity that's taken place.
"I'm hoping this ends quickly and that they can turn this thing around."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?