Suns Strokes: Suns 'embarrassed' by Thunder
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 97-69 loss to the Thunder on February 10.
The Suns signed 12-year-old Jonah Zahm from Osco, Illinois to a one-day contract. During the press conference, GM Lance Blanks presented the Make-A-Wish Foundation child his very own Suns uniform, No. 8, the same number of his favorite player, Channing Frye. Zahm, who suffers from a seizure disorder, was given a locker next to Goran Dragic. He attended the shoot-around, enjoyed lunch with Frye at Stingray Sushi in the Biltmore Fashion Square and watched pregame warmups from the bench.
Where to begin....
If it weren't for Wesley Johnson's tip-in dunk after a Sebastian Telfair missed three with 7.8 seconds remaining, the Suns would've set a franchise-record low for points scored in a regular season game (68; March 8, 1981 at Kansas City).
Instead, the Suns tied a season-low for first quarter points (16) and set a new season-low for first half points (34). During one stretch between the third and fourth quarters, the Suns went 8:02 between made field goals, which helped contribute to a season-worst 33 percent shooting.
He Said It:
"Embarrassed," Jared Dudley, who played a season-low eight minutes, said of the 28-point defeat. "Definitely embarrassed. You've got to play better than that. If I could I would give the fans back their money. It's definitely frustrating; difficult time right now."
• Interim head coach Lindsey Hunter said he "wanted to try and get us kick started with Goran (Dragic) at the two" for why he inserted point guard Kendall Marshall to start the third quarter. The move put Dudley on the bench, where he remained the entire second half.
• The Thunder were whistled for a Suns' opponent franchise-record low seven personal fouls (previous eight; March 27, 1975 vs. Detroit), just the 13th game in NBA history in which a team has committed seven or fewer fouls.
• Thabo Sefolosha set a season-high in scoring for the second-straight game against the Suns. After tallying 18 points on Friday on a career-high tying four made three-pointers, he tallied a season-best 20 points on a career-high five made three's.
The Suns (17-35) play their final game before the NBA All-Star break with a visit to the L.A. Lakers (24-28) on Tuesday, February 12.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.