Updated Feb 6, 2013 - 5:25 pm
Suns' Lindsey Hunter pleased with growth on defense
Interim head coach Lindsey Hunter talked about establishing a defensive mentality for the team when he took over for Alvin Gentry last month, and Tuesday night, it looked like the Suns had done just that.
Phoenix clamped down on the Memphis Grizzlies, especially in the second half, during a 96-90 win at FedEx Forum Tuesday night. The Suns held Memphis to just 44% shooting from the field and limited them to 38 points after halftime in only their fifth road win of the season.
"It's just more of what we're trying to do and become, it's solidifying our in-the-paint defense stopping guys from getting layups and challenging jump shots," Hunter told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday. "It's going to take us some time to get there, but when we practice I think we can reinforce a lot of things we're trying to incorporate.
"We solidified a lot of it -- not to the point where it's instinctive but I think awareness is the beginning of instinctively doing things and we've created the awareness that this is how we're going to play and this how we want to play. Defensively, we were much more aware (Tuesday) night than we were."
The Suns will try to continue their defensive improvement on the road Wednesday night against the New Orleans Hornets.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former Phoenix Suns player Richard Dumas arrested
- Suns coach Jeff Hornacek: 'These guys expect to win games'
- Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby: 'We already feel validated in terms of our performance'
- Suns Strokes: Ginobili takes over, as San Antonio ends Phoenix's five-game win streak
- Ginobili, Spurs snap Suns' 5-game winning streak
- The DISH - December 20, 2013 - Friday December 20Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Friday December 20Lon Babby talks about the early season success and Jeff Hornacek.
- Miles Plumlee, Suns center - Thursday December 19The Suns are surprising everyone in a good way.
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Operations - Thursday December 19Reaction to Wednesday's loss to the Spurs and discusses the direction of the franchise.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 19Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Phoenix Suns