Report: Phoenix Suns looking to acquire Josh Smith
According to HoopsWorld.com, the Suns are pursuing forward Josh Smith.
The Suns are pursuing Josh Smith, according to multiple league sources. Phoenix will try to acquire Smith before the deadline or, if that fails, through a sign-and-trade deal next offseason.
The Suns are very interested in Smith and have had exploratory talks with the Atlanta Hawks about the 27-year-old forward. Phoenix views Smith as a franchise player who can be one of the cornerstones of the team for years to come. The Suns have been searching for a face of the franchise since Steve Nash's departure last summer, and Smith could be exactly that. If the Hawks decide it's time to part ways with Smith, the Suns will be one of the teams on the phone.
Smith, 27, is averaging 16.8 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.2 blocks per game. He has career averages of 15.2 points, 8.0 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.2 blocks per game.
Known for being a versatile player and excellent athlete, Smith would not come cheap to anyone looking to make a deal or looking to sign him to a new contract.
The Hoopsworld report mentions Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley, Michael Beasley and some expiring contracts that might be of interest to the Hawks, and the Suns also have a few draft picks that could be used as trade bait.
No matter what, it's safe to say Phoenix would be in some sort of bidding war if Smith was to be made available.
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday June 18Jared Dudley joins Doug and Wolf to talk NBA Finals.
- Jared Dudley, Suns' Forward - Tuesday June 11JD gives us his player's perspective on the NBA Finals.
- Brian Windhorst, NBA ESPN.com Writer - Friday June 7Brian Windhorst talks about Game 1 of the NBA Finals and what to expect from the rest of the series.
- Suns GM Ryan McDonough - Friday June 7The Suns GM talks about prospects Ben McLemore of Kansas and Victor Oladipo of Indiana.
- Eddie Johnson, Suns' TV Analyst - Thursday June 6EJ previews game 1 of the NBA Finals. Plus, what are his thoughts on George Karl's firing?