Updated Jan 31, 2013 - 4:32 pm
Report: Phoenix Suns looking to acquire Josh Smith
According to HoopsWorld.com, the Suns are pursuing forward Josh Smith.
The Suns are pursuing Josh Smith, according to multiple league sources. Phoenix will try to acquire Smith before the deadline or, if that fails, through a sign-and-trade deal next offseason.
The Suns are very interested in Smith and have had exploratory talks with the Atlanta Hawks about the 27-year-old forward. Phoenix views Smith as a franchise player who can be one of the cornerstones of the team for years to come. The Suns have been searching for a face of the franchise since Steve Nash's departure last summer, and Smith could be exactly that. If the Hawks decide it's time to part ways with Smith, the Suns will be one of the teams on the phone.
Smith, 27, is averaging 16.8 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.2 blocks per game. He has career averages of 15.2 points, 8.0 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.2 blocks per game.
Known for being a versatile player and excellent athlete, Smith would not come cheap to anyone looking to make a deal or looking to sign him to a new contract.
The Hoopsworld report mentions Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley, Michael Beasley and some expiring contracts that might be of interest to the Hawks, and the Suns also have a few draft picks that could be used as trade bait.
No matter what, it's safe to say Phoenix would be in some sort of bidding war if Smith was to be made available.
- Reserves lead Suns to season-ending win over Kings: By The Numbers
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- If you dislike Robert Sarver, don't read this!
- Robert Sarver reflects on his 10 years at the helm of the Phoenix Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.