Updated Jan 31, 2013 - 4:32 pm
Report: Phoenix Suns looking to acquire Josh Smith
According to HoopsWorld.com, the Suns are pursuing forward Josh Smith.
The Suns are pursuing Josh Smith, according to multiple league sources. Phoenix will try to acquire Smith before the deadline or, if that fails, through a sign-and-trade deal next offseason.
The Suns are very interested in Smith and have had exploratory talks with the Atlanta Hawks about the 27-year-old forward. Phoenix views Smith as a franchise player who can be one of the cornerstones of the team for years to come. The Suns have been searching for a face of the franchise since Steve Nash's departure last summer, and Smith could be exactly that. If the Hawks decide it's time to part ways with Smith, the Suns will be one of the teams on the phone.
Smith, 27, is averaging 16.8 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.2 blocks per game. He has career averages of 15.2 points, 8.0 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.2 blocks per game.
Known for being a versatile player and excellent athlete, Smith would not come cheap to anyone looking to make a deal or looking to sign him to a new contract.
The Hoopsworld report mentions Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley, Michael Beasley and some expiring contracts that might be of interest to the Hawks, and the Suns also have a few draft picks that could be used as trade bait.
No matter what, it's safe to say Phoenix would be in some sort of bidding war if Smith was to be made available.
- Phoenix Suns' Channing Frye finishes third in NBA Sportsmanship Award voting
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.