Updated Jan 31, 2013 - 4:32 pm
Report: Phoenix Suns looking to acquire Josh Smith
According to HoopsWorld.com, the Suns are pursuing forward Josh Smith.
The Suns are pursuing Josh Smith, according to multiple league sources. Phoenix will try to acquire Smith before the deadline or, if that fails, through a sign-and-trade deal next offseason.
The Suns are very interested in Smith and have had exploratory talks with the Atlanta Hawks about the 27-year-old forward. Phoenix views Smith as a franchise player who can be one of the cornerstones of the team for years to come. The Suns have been searching for a face of the franchise since Steve Nash's departure last summer, and Smith could be exactly that. If the Hawks decide it's time to part ways with Smith, the Suns will be one of the teams on the phone.
Smith, 27, is averaging 16.8 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.2 blocks per game. He has career averages of 15.2 points, 8.0 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.2 blocks per game.
Known for being a versatile player and excellent athlete, Smith would not come cheap to anyone looking to make a deal or looking to sign him to a new contract.
The Hoopsworld report mentions Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley, Michael Beasley and some expiring contracts that might be of interest to the Hawks, and the Suns also have a few draft picks that could be used as trade bait.
No matter what, it's safe to say Phoenix would be in some sort of bidding war if Smith was to be made available.
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.