Updated Jan 30, 2013 - 4:03 pm
Suns rookie Kendall Marshall may be in line for more minutes
Marshall has played just 64 minutes over 12 games, with the next lowest totals belonging to Oklahoma City's Jeremy Lamb, who has appeared in just 16 games for a total of 64 minutes.
Both Lamb and Marshall have spent time in the NBA's Developmental League, though it was believed the Suns would look to give their rookie some more playing time when Lindsey Hunter took over as head coach in place of Alvin Gentry.
That may still be the case, but according to Hunter the former North Carolina star will have to earn his minutes.
"As we get more practice time, of course we want to get him on the floor, get some experience and see what he actually can do and what he needs to work on," Hunter told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "Time will tell; I think it will be dictated by how he progresses and the situations.
"He has to earn it, he has to continue to work and earn it."
For the season Marshall is averaging 1.1 point and 0.7 assists per game. He's shooting .357 from the field and generally been stuck behind guards Goran Dragic and Sebastian Telfair in the rotation.
Even with a desire to get him on the floor, though, Hunter said nothing will be given to the player. Marshall is coming off a 15-minute stint against the Mavericks in which he scored six points to go along with a rebound and a steal last Sunday, so it appears the No. 13 overall selection may be inching his way closer to the rotation.
"Working with him and watching him, he's come a long way," Hunter said. "His shot, his confidence. We don't question his ability to lead and to make plays.
"I think the biggest thing with Kendall was can he, offensively, play at this level, and I think he'll work and he'll prove that he can."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Owner Robert Sarver: Phoenix Suns not trying to lowball RFA Eric Bledsoe
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- Robert Sarver, Phoenix Suns Owner - Friday August 1Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver joins the show to discuss Gambo's letter to Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.