Updated Jan 30, 2013 - 12:50 pm
Suns' Marcin Gortat really misses Steve Nash
Most knew that Nash's departure from Phoenix, whenever it happened, would change the appearance of the Suns roster and direction of the organization. It has. Phoenix is 15-30 and tied with the New Orleans Hornets for the worst record in the Western Conference.
Predictably, it's not only fans who miss seeing Nash in purple and orange. Count Suns center Marcin Gortat in that category, too.
"I miss Steve," he said. "I'm not going to deny it. I do miss him, I miss him a lot."
Gortat, who was on the receiving end of many a pick-and-roll assist from Nash, has seen his scoring average decrease by nearly four points per game this season while playing the same number of minutes.
"I didn't believe it was going to be like that this year," Gortat said. "Last year when we were finishing the season and people were talking about Steve leaving the team, I was like 'at the end of the day, if he leaves, I'll be fine anyway'. Well, it's different."
Gortat's stats aren't the only difference for the Suns Nash. Through 45 games a year ago, Phoenix was 23-22 and attendance at US Airways Center this season has slipped by over 600 fans per game.
"Right next to Charles Barkley, he's probably the second-most important person in this franchise," Gortat said about his former teammate. "He was great, he's a great role model, on the court, off the court. I mean hands down, the guy is just super good, super great."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t