Updated Jan 24, 2013 - 11:54 am
Elston Turner 'highly upset' not chosen Suns interim head coach
Yet, when the Suns decided to fire head coach Alvin Gentry a week ago, the organization turned to player development coordinator Lindsey Hunter to lead the team through the final 41 games.
"When I found out that I did not get the job, (I was) highly upset and who wouldn't be," Turner, Gentry's lead assistant, said Thursday.
"I thought what I would bring to the table would be considered an asset," he continued. "In 16 years of coaching experience, (I have been a part of) 15 straight seasons at or above five hundred. That should be considered an asset.
"My last meeting with Lon (Babby) and Lance (Blanks) had such a dark cloud over it that what I just told you, it gave me the impression that that wasn't considered an asset. It was such negative tone all through that whole meeting that had me scratching my head and had me wondering what's going on."
Even after getting passed over and taking some time to collect his thoughts, Turner offered to stay on.
"I signed on to do it," he said. "I love the game. And then I thought about the players. (I have) an obligation to them. I'm sure they would want the highest-quality of teaching."
Turner said he relayed that message to management.
"The impression I got was that it may not be the best situation for anybody," he said. "It seemed like a good situation for the players because I've got more experience than anybody in that locker room. It seemed like a good situation for the fans because I've got more experience than anybody in that locker room."
In the end, Turner and the Suns parted ways with the Suns agreeing to honor his contract.
For Turner, "It just didn't seem like it was a welcome situation."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.