Suns Strokes: Suns win first game under interim coach Lindsey Hunter
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 106-96 win over the Kings on January 23.
The Suns have been embroiled in controversy since team officials replaced head coach Alvin Gentry with the inexperienced Lindsey Hunter. But on Wednesday night, the players answered the call, helping their interim coach notch his first career win in a strong display of professionalism and unity.
Luis Scola led the charge offensively for the Suns, notching 21 points and seven rebounds. Michael Beasley added 19 for Phoenix, 13 of which came in the game's final quarter.
The Suns were impressive overall in the fourth, using a 15-1 run to help seal the victory.
P.J. Tucker was held to just four points in 22:38 minutes of play and Jared Dudley also struggled offensively, netting just eight points on the night.
The Suns shot just 32% from three-point range.
He Said It:
"It was real exciting. I'm more excited for the guys than anything else since they worked so hard for me the last few days," Suns' head coach Lindsey Hunter said. "This is a long, long journey and this is just the beginning for all of us."
• The Suns have now won two straight game on the road despite holding a 4-17 record away from US Airways Center this season.
• Jermaine O'Neal did not travel with the team due to a medical ailment.
• The Kings had a season-high 24 turnovers.
• Lindsey Hunter did not make any changes to the Suns' starting lineup in his first game as head coach.
The Suns will host the Los Angeles Clippers Thursday night at 8:30 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.