Updated Jan 23, 2013 - 5:44 pm
Suns GM Blanks stands by decision to make Lindsey Hunter the coach
The team parted with Gentry on January 18 and named Hunter the interim coach on January 20, with neither move being popular among most people.
However, Blanks is confident he made the right decision.
"We sat down anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour or so with each candidate and talked about a myriad of things," Blanks told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "Their personal philosophy, what they thought they could do to help lead us in the next phase and through the next 41 games."
Blanks said he was challenged to do what was best for the organization "regardless of external influences or what I thought people might like," and under those directions he was left to determine who would be the best man to lead the Suns going forward.
"When everything fell out it was clear to me that Lindsey should be the next coach," he said.
So that was the choice, and since it's been made the Suns have been criticized nearly universally. However, Blanks said the move has been well-received by the players.
"Over the past four days you've just seen a pop from guys in terms of the way they've responded, the way they've acted," Blanks said.
Blanks added that one player -- and he wouldn't say who -- came off the court after the team's second practice under Hunter and told he and president of basketball operations Lon Babby "this guy is going to be a very, very good coach."
Blanks went on to say that no matter what people think of the decision to make Hunter the coach, he stands by the call.
"When you take out all of the noise, if you will, and you just focus on the job, which is what Lon really challenged me to do," he said, "I have no problem putting my stamp or putting my signature on the decision to have Lindsey lead us over the next 41 games."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.