Updated Jan 23, 2013 - 11:04 am
Forbes: Phoenix Suns are NBA's 13th-most valuable team
According to Forbes, the Suns are the 13th-most valuable franchise in the league. The New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls make up the top three, while the Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Bobcats and Milwaukee Bucks are at the bottom.
The Suns are valued at $474 million, and the rest of the organization's breakdown is below.
Owner: Robert Sarver
Price Paid: $404 M
Year Purchased: 2004
Revenue: $121 M
Operating Income: $13.0 M
Player Expenses: $60 M
Gate Receipts: $28 M
Wins-to-player cost ratio: 86
Revenue per Fan: $18
Metro Area Population: 4.4 M
Forbes notes how the Suns have cut ticket prices in recent years, but that it really has not helped at the box office. Attendance at US Airways Center has dropped in each of the last three seasons.
Fans are tuning out at home as well with local TV ratings off a league-worst 37% on FS Arizona.
This season the Suns are 25th in the NBA in attendance, averaging 14,769 fans in 21 home games. With a 13-28 record and a season seemingly spinning out of control, it's worth wondering if things are about to get worse for the Valley's original professional sports team.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.