Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 10:17 pm
Dan Majerle out as Suns assistant coach
Dan Majerle is out as Suns assistant coach, sorry about the misspelling on the first one— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) January 22, 2013
Majerle, who played eight seasons with the Suns and is one of the most popular players in franchise history, became an assistant coach in 2008 and guided the Suns summer league teams in Las Vegas for four seasons.
Majerle's status was up in the air after the Suns fired head coach Alvin Gentry Friday and named player development coordinator Lindsey Hunter as the interim coach Sunday -- bypassing both Majerle and Elston Turner, who has 14 years of assistant coaching experience in the NBA.
Majerle will be paid in full for the rest of the season.
The team was also planning a Dan Majerle Fathead promotional giveaway for the January 30 game against the Los Angeles Lakers, but that is now in doubt due to Majerle's departure.
Hunter will make his debut on the Suns bench Wednesday night in Sacramento against the Kings.
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?