Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 5:40 pm
Suns' head coach Lindsey Hunter plans to instill a strong emphasis on defense
Phoenix Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter is ready to institute a new style of play in the Valley.
Hunter told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Monday he plans to instill a strong emphasis on defense.
"I am a Detroit kind of guy, that's kind of where I've had the most success," Hunter said. "I love tough-minded, defensive-minded teams and that would be the ideal identity for us."
Hunter said he doesn't expect the transition to happen overnight but he feels the team can have great success moving forward if they can assume that kind of mentality.
"We'll see how close we can get to being a really good defensive team but we are going to work hard at it," Hunter stated. "That would be ideal for us if we could defend, create turnovers, as well as run."
The Suns' new head coach believes creating the right environment and holding players accountable could also go a long way to helping establish a winning model.
"Everyday I think we have to try to establish a culture and identity," Hunter said. "You slowly but surely build that culture and you build that frame of mind with guys and teaching guys how to practice winning habits."
Hunter said he plans to emphasize to the players the importance of completing every play they start and not taking shortcuts.
He's also been impressed with what he's seen from his players thus far at practice since taking the head coaching reins.
"Guys were really working hard," Hunter said. "They gave us maximum effort and that's all you can ask for."
Hunter will coach his first game for the Suns on Wednesday in Sacramento against the Kings.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?