Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 5:40 pm
Suns' head coach Lindsey Hunter plans to instill a strong emphasis on defense
Phoenix Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter is ready to institute a new style of play in the Valley.
Hunter told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Monday he plans to instill a strong emphasis on defense.
"I am a Detroit kind of guy, that's kind of where I've had the most success," Hunter said. "I love tough-minded, defensive-minded teams and that would be the ideal identity for us."
Hunter said he doesn't expect the transition to happen overnight but he feels the team can have great success moving forward if they can assume that kind of mentality.
"We'll see how close we can get to being a really good defensive team but we are going to work hard at it," Hunter stated. "That would be ideal for us if we could defend, create turnovers, as well as run."
The Suns' new head coach believes creating the right environment and holding players accountable could also go a long way to helping establish a winning model.
"Everyday I think we have to try to establish a culture and identity," Hunter said. "You slowly but surely build that culture and you build that frame of mind with guys and teaching guys how to practice winning habits."
Hunter said he plans to emphasize to the players the importance of completing every play they start and not taking shortcuts.
He's also been impressed with what he's seen from his players thus far at practice since taking the head coaching reins.
"Guys were really working hard," Hunter said. "They gave us maximum effort and that's all you can ask for."
Hunter will coach his first game for the Suns on Wednesday in Sacramento against the Kings.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.