Updated Jan 20, 2013 - 3:10 pm
Suns players supportive of decision to name Lindsey Hunter interim head coach
Although the team is clearly closer to a top 3 pick in June's draft than playoff contention, one thing is for certain: the players support the front office's decision to tag Lindsey Hunter as the interim head coach Sunday.
"He brings that sort of dog to the team," first-year Sun Michael Beasley said. "He knows what he wants, he's been in the league for awhile and has championships. I liked [the move]."
Hunter has quite a task ahead of him, as Phoenix has dropped 13 of its last 15 games, including losing streaks of five and six games a piece.
While Hunter has only been with the organization since 2012 and has no head coaching experience on his resume, his pedigree as a player lends itself to a level of credibility amongst his team.
"I wasn't surprised at all," Sebastian Telfair said. "Lindsey is going to hold everyone accountable. He was a player, so the players respect him. I'm anxious to see how this goes."
When asked what he liked most about his new coach, Telfair said the former NBA veteran doesn't mince his words.
"No B.S.," said Telfair. "He's been a straight shooter for us as a developmental guy. We will see how that turns over as a head coach."
Although the team has a six-day layoff between last Thursday's 98-94 loss to the Bucks and Wednesday's road game against the Kings, the team already appears to have felt the impact of the coaching move on the practice court.
"Obviously this year hasn't gone the way that we hoped it would go," rookie point guard Kendall Marshall said. "I think we took a great step with our first practice [under Hunter]. Everybody competed hard and there was a lot of positivity in the gym."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.
- The DISH - April 12, 2014 - Saturday April 12Jon Bloom gives us the Day in Suns' History.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 11NBA insider Chris Broussard dicsusses the NBA playoff race.