Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 6:30 pm
Suns' Babby on Gentry decision: We were not progressing
Gentry compiled a 158-144 record over parts of five seasons as the team's head coach, and reached the Western Conference Finals in 2010.
Yet, the team missed the playoffs in each of the last two seasons, and has a conference-worst 13-28 record right now.
But wins and losses, at least on a basic level, are not why the Suns and Gentry parted ways Friday.
"You can have a feeling, you can have a time when you feel like you're not progressing," Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "That there's just a sense this has run its course and that we're out of ideas and we're out of solutions."
Babby explained that holds true for management and coaches, and added that "nobody stays in these jobs forever."
But he saw no need in giving specific details, other than to say it was more of a "feel" than a "specific thing" that led to the decision.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.