Updated Jan 8, 2013 - 10:24 am
Report: Suns talking trade for Memphis' Rudy Gay
The Suns sit at 12-23, the second-worst record in the Western Conference and 7.5 games out of the final playoff spot.
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, the team is tinkering with even more change.
Wojnarowski wrote Tuesday morning that the Suns are engaged in talks with the Memphis Grizzlies about forward Rudy Gay.
There's no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.
Gay, who is averaging 17.8 points for the Grizzlies this season, has two years remaining on his contract after this season, which will pay him over $37 million. He is making $16.4 million this season.
But as Wojnarowski points out, the Suns do have plenty of first round draft picks in future years, having acquired two of them from the Los Angeles Lakers in the Steve Nash deal last summer.
Gay, 26, was a first round draft pick (eighth overall) out of Connecticut by the Houston Rockets in 2006, but was later traded to the Grizzlies in a deal for Shane Battier. Gay has averaged 17.9 points per game over his seven-year NBA career.
Despite leading Memphis in scoring this season, his per game output is the lowest since his rookie season when he averaged 10.8 points per contest.
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Suns analyst: Team would benefit from veteran experience, clutch performer
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?