Updated Jan 8, 2013 - 10:24 am
Report: Suns talking trade for Memphis' Rudy Gay
The Suns sit at 12-23, the second-worst record in the Western Conference and 7.5 games out of the final playoff spot.
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, the team is tinkering with even more change.
Wojnarowski wrote Tuesday morning that the Suns are engaged in talks with the Memphis Grizzlies about forward Rudy Gay.
There's no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.
Gay, who is averaging 17.8 points for the Grizzlies this season, has two years remaining on his contract after this season, which will pay him over $37 million. He is making $16.4 million this season.
But as Wojnarowski points out, the Suns do have plenty of first round draft picks in future years, having acquired two of them from the Los Angeles Lakers in the Steve Nash deal last summer.
Gay, 26, was a first round draft pick (eighth overall) out of Connecticut by the Houston Rockets in 2006, but was later traded to the Grizzlies in a deal for Shane Battier. Gay has averaged 17.9 points per game over his seven-year NBA career.
Despite leading Memphis in scoring this season, his per game output is the lowest since his rookie season when he averaged 10.8 points per contest.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.
- The DISH - April 12, 2014 - Saturday April 12Jon Bloom gives us the Day in Suns' History.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 11NBA insider Chris Broussard dicsusses the NBA playoff race.