Updated Jan 4, 2013 - 10:05 pm
Suns Strokes: Turnovers prove costly in loss to Jazz
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 87-80 loss to the Jazz on January 4.
The Suns got off to a hot start scoring 31 points in the first quarter on 14 of 18 field goal attempts. That's shooting nearly 78% and the night looked promising, but they were unable to sustain it for the following three quarters.
Another positive was the effort of big man Marcin Gortat. He recorded his third straight double-double with 18 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks Friday.
The Suns would have recorded their 2,000 victory in franchise history if they had held on to win.
The Suns are also now 1-2 with the new starting lineup that has P.J. Tucker in for Shannon Brown to start the game. The Suns have used seven different starting lineups this season and will have to wait until Sunday to see if head coach Alvin Gentry switches it up once again.
• The Suns have dropped seven of their last eight games after a season-high four-game win streak. They are 5-7 in their last 12 games overall.
• Phoenix commits season-high 21 turnovers in loss.
He Said It:
"I thought the first quarter was the best we've played the whole season," Gentry said. "I thought the last three quarters were the worst we could have possibly played. We had a really good first quarter and the last three quarters we just never got anything going. We had no rhythm. It was one of those games where it was a disaster really."
The Suns continue this homestand with a game against the Grizzlies on Sunday night. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 6 p.m. with coverage on Arizona Sports 620.
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.