Suns Strokes: Suns snap six-game losing streak with win over 76ers
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 95-89 win over the Sixers on January 2.
The Suns beat the Sixers to snap a six-game losing streak on Wednesday night at US Airways Center. They have not won a game since December 19, 2012 against Charlotte. Four of the six losses during this skid were by a combined 15 points.
The Suns also won for the fifth time in their last seven home games and for the seventh time in their last 11 contests overall at USAC. This is also the Suns' 1,999 victory in franchise history.
Despite the Suns' stellar defensive efforts on the Sixers, guard Jrue Holiday recorded 16 points, a career-high-tying 10 rebounds and 10 assists Wednesday. That was his second career triple-double and his first since February 2, 2011 at New Jersey.
• Luis Scola finished with his third straight 20-point game. That's his longest streak since January 27-February 1, 2011. He now has six 20-point efforts for the Suns. Scola is also averaging 26 points, nearly seven rebounds and four assists per game in the last three games.
He Said It:
"For us it was obviously a much, much, much needed win," said head coach Alvin Gentry. "If you look at [Wednesday] I think you just have to say it's a total team effort. I just thought when we needed certain guys to step up, they did and when we needed certain guys to make a play here and there, we did also."
The Suns stay in the Valley to host the Utah Jazz on Friday at 7:00 p.m. and then host the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday at 6 p.m. at USAC.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.