Updated Dec 24, 2012 - 4:06 pm
Technical fouls piling up for Suns' Alvin Gentry, Jermaine O'Neal
Well, except for one.
In Sunday night's 102-77 loss to the red-hot Los Angeles Clippers, Jermaine O'Neal picked up his league-leading eighth technical foul. For most coaches, this would be a cause for concern, after all the 17-year veteran is already halfway to a one-game suspension. But Alvin Gentry isn't exactly in a position to lecture O'Neal.
Late in the first half of Sunday's game against Los Angeles, Alvin Gentry was unhappy with official Rodney Mott's decision not to blow his whistle on what looked to be a clear-cut foul on Phoenix guard Goran Dragic.
Gentry's argument with Mott eventually ended in his first ejection of the season and put him second on the technical foul list among NBA coaches with five in 2012-13. He trails only New York Knicks head coach Mike Woodson, who has six on the year.
While it's encouraging to see how passionate O'Neal and Gentry are even in the face of a losing record, extra free throw opportunities for opposing teams can be deadly for the Suns, especially since nine of their games this season have already been decided by five points or less.
As a team, the Suns currently lead the league with 24 technical fouls.
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.