Kempton: Gentry handling Michael Beasley the right way
The Phoenix Suns may have to realize their prominent free agent acquisition was a bust, but they haven't done so yet.
The Suns signed Michael Beasley to a three-year, $18 million contract and was viewed as a reclamation project for team management and head coach Alvin Gentry. Thus far, Beasley has proven to be just that -- a work in progress.
Suns' color analyst Tim Kempton praised Gentry for his usage of Beasley and knowing when it's time to sit him.
"They are getting him plenty of shots, they expect him to shoot the ball and be involved in the offense," Kempton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Thursday. "But Alvin Gentry's been very clear if you're not performing well that night we can't have you on the floor because we don't have that luxury."
Beasley's struggled mightily to find consistency on the floor. In fact, the Suns have often fared better this season with their small forward on the bench, and as a result he's seen his playing time decrease.
Kempton said Gentry understands if Beasley's off one night, the Suns can ill afford to have him out on the court.
"We don't have the luxury of putting someone like a Michael Beasley out there to be unproductive for this team to win."
The 23-year-old has averaged 11.1 points and 3.9 rebounds in 26.3 minutes this season.
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.